Sunday, November 16, 2014

The beginning story of Sam

Early on in my pregnancy, a routine test came back "borderline" for being at high-risk of Sam having Down syndrome.  Lots of things go through your mind when you receive news like that, with one of them being sheer panic about the unknown. 

As I cried out to God, I thought I heard Him say to me, "Your son does not have Down syndrome." I doubted that voice, unsure that it was not just me wishing for it to be true and making it up in my head.  

We decided to take a DNA blood test so we would know for sure. And when the results came back that the baby did not have Down syndrome, I already knew he was going to be a boy. 

The name Samuel means, "the Lord has heard." We did not deliberately choose his name because of this story (really, we just thought Noah, Max and Sam went well together). I do not know what the rest of Sam's life will hold, but I'd like to hope that one day, Sam's name will bring him great comfort, just as it has for me. 

No comments: