Monday, October 24, 2016

The tetherball story

I often worry about Noah, probably because he is our firstborn and because he is wired a certain way. But this is a story I want to remember about him.

Since Noah started first grade, every day at recess and lunch, he heads straight to the tetherball court. From what I gather, he almost never wins. In fact, the other kids sometimes choose to "go easy" on him. And yet, none of this seems to bother him much. He knows he isn't great, but he comes home so excited to tell me, "I almost won today mom! I was so close. I'm getting better mom!" When other kids lose, they move on to something else. Not Noah. And when we share our favorite highlight at the end of each day, he often says tetherball.

I watched him from afar the other day, laughing and jumping around with such abandon and excitement on the playground. You could tell he was enjoying the game of tetherball with such childish delight. I wonder, could I face life the way he faces tetherball?

Noah's depiction of the tetherball court he wants to install if we ever had a backyard 

No comments: